Tales from the Great Adventure

a journal of living-like-we-mean-it, by Derek Maul

“For I want you to understand what really matters…” – Paul, Philippians 1

Derek Maul

Derek Maul

This morning I’m heading out the door fairly early, so just a short post for today.

AGING: I’ve been listening to a series of TED-talks on the aging process (NPR’s The TED RADIO HOUR). It’s been an interesting discussion, and there are a lot of theories in play regarding how we can increase our life span.

Personally, I’m not so much concerned with living longer as I am about living like I mean it. If I pass away when I’m 100, 75, or next week, it’s important to me that I have lived every moment to its fullest, that I have loved well, and that I have appropriately utilized the gift of life that I have been entrusted with. That is a day-to-day question, and it trumps every other concern regarding age or health.

One interesting segment reported on the inhabitants of a region where the average life-span is a good 20 years more than that in the USA. Other than obvious benefits such as walking every day and a balanced diet, the finding that stood out for me was the fact that the local word for “life” translated into English as, “Reason to get up in the morning…”

What they are talking about is purpose. Without purpose, we die.

I like the way Paul addresses this fundamental idea in Philippians 1:8-11. And I’ll leave it with you as my short thought for the day.

I pray that your love will overflow more and more, and that you will keep on growing in knowledge and understanding. For I want you to understand what really matters, so that you may live pure and blameless lives until the day of Christ’s return. May you always be filled with the fruit of your salvation—the righteous character produced in your life by Jesus Christ—for this will bring much glory and praise to God.

“For I want you to understand what really matters…” Peace – DEREK

7 thoughts on “reason to get up in the morning

1. bigkay95 says:

Reblogged this on bigkayworld.

2. George Dudley says:

If you haven’t done so already, also read David Brooks’ “The Moral Bucket List.” Brooks is a New York Times columnist. I sometimes think Brooks, a Jew, understands Christianity better than Christians do.

1. Gail says:

Excellent, excellent…truly the definition of short but sweet!! Derek once again helps point to the things that fill ones soul.
      Another great read: Charles Krauthammer’s Things That Matter. He is also Jewish with a great sense of faith. Each chapter stands on its own, so its an easy, yet powerful read.

1. derekmaul says:

Thanks, Gail. I was actually thinking of Krauthammer when George referenced Brooks!

2. derekmaul says: