Whom have I in heaven but you?
And there is nothing on earth that I desire other than you.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. – Psalm 73:25-26
Whether it’s a long road trip – like the 8,800 miles we drove one summer from Tampa, to Alabama, to Texas, to New Mexico, to Arizona, to Utah, to Colorado, and back – or simply a series of day-trips and weekends, vacation typically means time on the road.
That’s why Rebekah and I agree it’s such a good thing that we like each other so much! We enjoy talking; then we love to hold hands and just watch the world go by; sometimes Rebekah will read out loud – an article or a whole book; then there is “road-trip music” – I’m sure everyone has their own play list.
ROCK-‘N-ROLL: Our music selections run the gamut, from classic rock to hard-core classical to sing-along inspirational. But if we had to choose, our “best-of” road-trip play list would have to start off with the following:
- “Queen’s Greatest Hits” (Bohemian Rhapsody, We Will Rock You, We are the Champions, Save Me, Somebody to Love, Don’t Stop Me Now, Bicycle race…);
- Robert Palmer’s raw, visceral, “Drive”;
- “Mercury Rising,” by Sting:
- “Hell Freezes Over,” from the Eagles;
- then we’d have to include “James Taylor’s Greatest Hits,” “Rod Stewart Unplugged,” Eric Clapton’s “Unplugged,” and a whole lot more.
It’s great fun to crank the sound up high, rock the roof off the car, hold hands, and watch the miles go by.
So I’m not sure how often I’ll be posting, or quite how we will be resting our bodies and renewing our spirits, but I do know this – the next week-and-a-half will likely have an epic soundtrack!