Teach us to number our days,
that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us;
establish the work of our hands for us—
yes, establish the work of our hands. Psalm 90:12,17
This classic photograph floated through my feed the other day (thanks, Roy Alexander); the date is circa 1979, probably taken in Leesburg, Florida.
I decided to use it today because we all stand at the beginning of the New Year – and this photograph is all about brand-new.
It was the beginning of our life together, the launching point for something previously unimagined, the front end of a new adventure. Here, with no resources to speak of but our commitment and our ongoing education, Rebekah and I were just beginning to imagine what the future could hold and – more importantly – what we could possibly contribute as a new family.
Anything is possible!!
What a great metaphor for now! This sense of promise and of possibility is exactly where we stand January 2, 2021! We can look around and take stock of who we are and what resources are at hand, and we can move forward with a sense of invitation and purpose.
Here are some questions we all may want to consider:
- Am I still growing and learning as a human being?
- Who is God calling me to be in 2021?
- Do I believe that God has a plan and a purpose for me?
- What is the world’s (my community’s) great need?
- What do I have to offer?
- What do we have to offer as a family?
- Where can I serve?
- How can I make the greatest impact for good?
- Am I invested in a positive, active, encouraging faith community?
- Am I in this just for myself, or for the world?
These are just some sample questions, they are not weighted the same for everyone, and you may well be giving yourself different challenges. But, regardless, we must ask ourselves some important questions; and today provides the perfect opportunity to begin.
In the firm belief that anything is possible – DEREK
- Here’s the side-by-side!